Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Punxsutawney Phil vs. Roxiticus Roxy: Groundhog's Day 2010

Back in February 2008, when (as usual)Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow and dealt us all six more weeks of winter, I decided to get my own Groundhog.... I went outside to discuss the matter with one of the guys (or chunky groundhog girls) who raids our tomato garden every summer.

When I returned from the backyard following my Groundhog's Day 2008 interview with our very own Roxiticus Valley Groundhog, I learned that she wanted to be known as Roxiticus Roxy and her point of view on shadows and springtime? "The clouds are so thick in the sky I can't get a glimpse of the sun, never mind my own shadow. For those of you fortunate enough to live in the Roxiticus Valley (including Mendham, Chester, Bernardsville, Far Hills, Peapack-Gladstone and Bedminster, NJ), Spring is Here! Now get online and order me up some heirloom tomato plants for my family to enjoy this summer."

This year, London, Maddie and I went out to speak with our Groundhog friend, Roxiticus Roxy, but she refused to come out. "What are you people thinking? Don't you read the weather report? 14 degrees, feels like zeeero? It is way too cold for me to come out looking for my shadow. Interpret that any way you wish, but I'm going back to sleep."
Here's a link to a Punxsutawney Phil coloring page.... please instruct your child to cross out Punxsutawney Phil and proudly color Roxiticus Roxy: http://www.crayola.com/free-coloring-pages/print/groundhog-coloring-page/

Our northern neighbors in Canada have their own answer to Punxsutawney Phil. His name is Wiarton Willie and he saw his shadow today. Here is his web site.

1 comments:

Dorothy Rimson said...

Lovely post..