Saturday, August 15, 2009

Music Monday Tribute to Billy the Lifeguard: "Who's Crying Now?"

I've been at our beach house in Bay Head, NJ, for the past couple of perfect weekends, reading two vastly different New England beach books: "Barefoot" by Elin Hilderbrand and "That Old Cape Magic" by Richard Russo. I'll try to post full reviews of both books over on my Roxy's Best Of... Books for Grownups site, but suffice it to say that I am always in awe of Richard Russo's writing talent, and I buy all of my Elin Hilderbrand beach reads for a charitable contribution of 50 cents at the Anchor & Palette Gallery in Bay Head, NJ. Right now I'm enjoying a Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde and a cool breeze on our front porch, and "That Old Cape Magic" is taking me back to the Summer of 1981... when 14-year-old Roxy traveled in the back of my parents' station wagon to Kiawah Island in South Carolina. While I had stolen a small handful of kisses from older boys as an awkward pre-teen and new teenager, I had never had a boyfriend... and wouldn't until I was a sophomore in high school, dating a nineteen-year-old disc jockey who rode a motorcycle.

I was not one of the popular girls in school, but family road trips on summer vacation enabled me to shed my local identity, slip into a bikini, and get a little lucky on the beach... that summer, while my parents wouldn't let me far out of their sight, I was lucky enough to share two beach days and one evening with a handsome Kiawah Island lifeguard named Billy. As Casey Kasem might say, the song on the radio was "Who's Crying Now" by Steve Perry and Journey. Right now it's Saturday night in Bay Head, but pretty soon it will be Music Monday somewhere in the world, and officially time for me to share this one with you.





It's been a mystery and still they try to see
Why somethin' good can hurt so bad
Caught on a one-way street, the taste of bittersweet
Love will survive somehow, some way

One love feeds the fire
One heart burns desire
I wonder, who's cryin' now
Two hearts born to run
Who'll be the lonely one
I wonder, who's cryin' now

So many stormy nights, so many wrongs or rights
Neither could change their headstrong ways
And in a lover's rage, they tore another page
The fightin' is worth the love they save...

(chorus)

Only so many tears you can cry
'Til the heartache is over
And now you can say your love
Will never die


Come join Music Monday and share your songs with us. One simple rule, leave ONLY the actual post link here. You can grab this code at LJL Please note these links are STRICTLY for Music Monday participants only. All others will be deleted without prejudice.




PS: Because of spamming purposes, the linky will be closed on Thursday of each week at midnight, Malaysian Time. Thank you!

5 comments:

Mariuca said...

Oh i also like Steve Perry! Happy MM Roxy!!

David D'Angelo said...

Love hurts... love bleeds... but love is great! Happy MM!

Jackie said...

That sounds like a wonderful little break you had Roxy.

We missed Maine this year. Maybe next year. I just didn't want to travel this year not even fly up.

I love Steve perry and was very upset to hear about his being fall.

Rumors have that it may be very serious as they have canceled their tour.

However, Pam and Bill just saw them in concert in Atlanta and she said Perry was really out of it.

She got the impression that he was more stoned than anything. I am hoping he will be okay and I also hope he has not relapsed back into the drugs and booze.

The books sound wonderful as does your trip!!

Happy MM Roxy!!
Jackie:-)

life's journey said...

Great song...Happy MM!

Metz said...

Love this seletion :) will be downloading it for my collection in a bit hehehe :) have a great week ahead dear :) xoxo