Friday, April 23, 2010

Roxy's Gone to the Dogs

Post in progress...more cute puppy pictures on the way.

My UPS guy is always the first to know... when it's London or Maddie's birthday, when we're getting ready for a Roxiticus Sunset Party, or when Roxy's got a new obsession. This week, the packages started coming in from Amazon: "How to Raise the Perfect Dog" by the Dog Whisperer, Cesar Millan. I also ordered his six DVD Boxed Setas "a present for Maddie." But who am I trying to kid? I can't stay focused on work and I become easily distracted by making plans for puppy.

Something even cooler than getting all my puppy books and videos quickly from Amazon Prime (free trial membership)... I've found a kinder, gentler local dog whisperer right here in Mendham, New Jersey: Justine Schuurmans from TheFamilyDog.net. She's a fellow Mendham Township Elementary School mother who contacted me about a fab new company that my local readers need to know about. More details later on their better, safer, positive -- consequences and kindness -- training techniques.

The Family Dog is a local Morris and Somerset County service just like Super Nanny or Nanny 911, only for dogs! What I've learned from my Dog Whisperer books and videos so far is that while it's great to take your new puppy to obedience school, it's the people who really need the training, and most families need help where it counts - at home. That’s where The Family Dog comes in.... two fun-loving, long-time professional dog trainers who are juggling a full schedule, with four dogs and four children under six between them. They both teach classes at St. Huberts, but realize that families need a different kind of help.

Maddie and London are so psyched... Justine is going to come to our house for a private session before our puppy arrives to give all of us the info and training we need to set off on the right foot. She's even going to bring one of her own dogs to coach us and let the girls practice on, so they will be experts when their cockapoo puppy, Peanut Butter, arrives. So much is in the preparation!

Anyway, I'm going to be writing lots more as we get ready for our new puppy, but I'm feeling good about our plans... Peanut Butter's mom is due in the first week of May, and we're planning to bring our eight-week-old puppy home from the breeder in early July. Maddie is going to help me update our web sites with stories and information as we get ready.

The Family Dog, serving Morris and Somerset Counties with DogNanny 911 services from Mendham, NJ.

Phone: (973) 910-0364. Be sure to let them know that Roxy sent you!!

0 comments: