Friday, June 12, 2009

Today is Maddie's Big Day

Today's the day! Mrs. Brown's first grade class at Mendham Township Elementary School is celebrating "Incredible Kid Day." To prepare for "Incredible Kid Day," all of the parents were asked to take some time to reflect and think about why we feel our child is unique and truly incredible. This afternoon, Rex and I will share our thoughts with Maddie by reading the letters we've written to her telling why we think she is "incredible." I'd better pack a box of tissues because every time I read my letter I get all mushy and teary-eyed thinking about how fortunate I am to have such a healthy, happy, incredible kid. We will read our letters to Maddie in class at the "Incredible Kid Day" party this afternoon, but I've decided to post mine here as well:

Maddie,
On the day you burst out into the world, I was filled with so much joy and love that I thought you couldn’t be much more incredible…but as you’ve grown up to be an almost second grader, I’ve discovered that you grow more incredible with each passing day, week, and year. Maddie, you are INCREDIBLE!
I think you’re incredible, and love you because you’re the one and only you… the unforgettable Maddie!
Naughty but nice, with that sweet mischievous grin that tells me you’ll never be in trouble for long. Remember when you forged that note from mommy excusing you from math lab with Mrs. Fuller? I can’t wait to see how this fun-loving approach will play out when you get to middle school and high school.
Creative. I love the unique projects you come up with, pulling together your favorite photos and writing stories about them. I can’t wait to teach you how to do more on the computer, since you’re already building upon the basics that Mr. Gallo teaches in technology class. At school, you work so hard at reading, writing and spelling and you’re turning out to be a real math whiz. I’ve been so proud of you as you master double-digit addition and subtraction, learning to tell time, and counting money… at school and in “real life.”
Rock Star, dancer and choreographer, singing Hannah Montana and High School musical faves with your all girl basement band, the Butter Bites. You’re the only first grader I know who is writing her own songs and choreographing dance moves for performances for family and friends, and one day the Disney Channel and the world!
Entrepreneur at the beach…the way you and London have been painting and selling seashells down by the seashore for 25 cents each since Memorial Day 2007 is impressive. You and your sister have earned over $300 towards Kit’s American Girl tree house, way too many Webkinz and your college savings plan….not to mention the friends and “fan club” who stop by our beach house every weekend to paint with you and admire your beautiful painted shells.
Daddy’s girl and sous chef. You’ve been cooking with your dad since you were a preschooler at Westmont Montessori… Santa really knew what he was doing when he brought you a set of your very own kitchen tools and ingredients for Christmas.
Incredibly poised, a graceful ballerina, and an agile gymnast
Big smiles that you give me every day… when I wake you up in the morning and tuck you in at night, and everywhere in between.
Loving sister and loyal friend to all your friends, old and new. You and your sister, London, have been best friends ever since she greeted you on your first night home from Lenox Hill Hospital in NYC, and the love that the two of you share is just incredible. You’re also a loyal friend to many new buddies from your kindergarten and first grade classes. You’ve kept up your friendship with Izzy from Westmont Montessori, and when you get together it’s like you were just working on a project together yesterday…chat chat chat!
Even if you couldn’t do any of these things, Maddie, I’d still find you to be an incredible kid. Just by being yourself, you fill my life and our home with happiness and love…and that’s pretty darn incredible.
-- Love, Mom

1 comments:

Wholesale Printing said...

I was about to comment "that kid is too talented" until I finally reached letter E. This is a very creative approach. And very sweet too. :)