Wednesday, July 30, 2008

My Favorite Mistake...What Happens When Bad Boys Grow Up?

I woke up and called this morning,
the tone of your voice was a warning
that you don't care for me anymore.




I made up the bed we sleep in.
I looked at the clock when you creep in.
It's 6 AM and I'm alone.

Did you know when you go it's the perfect ending,
to the bad day I was just beginning.
When you go, all I know is you're my favorite mistake.

Your friends act sorry for me.
They watch you pretend to adore me.
But I am no fool to this game.

Now here comes your secret lover,
she'll be unlike any other,
until your guilt goes up in flames.

Did you know when you go it's the perfect ending,
to the bad day I'd gotten used to spending.
When you go, all I know is you're my favorite mistake
You're my favorite mistake.

Well maybe nothing lasts forever,
even when you stay together.
I don't need forever after, but it's your laughter won't let me go
so I'm holding on this way.

Did you know could you tell you were the only one
that I ever loved?
Now everything's so wrong.
Did you see me walking by, did it ever make you cry?
Now you're my favorite mistake
Yeah you're my favorite mistake
You're my favorite mistake


With apologies to those of you who are not Sheryl Crow fans to the point that you might find reading this post debilitating...Rex and the girls and I had a great time seeing Sheryl Crow at the PNC Bank Arts Center last night. One of the highlights for me was her awesome performance of "My Favorite Mistake." The song was written about a relationship with a man who proves to be unfaithful and is widely believed to have been written about Eric Clapton.


"My Favorite Mistake" got me thinking about bad boys....we've all known a few, but I haven't kept in touch with any of them for over 10 years. Before I met Rex, I certainly didn't have a type, but Johnny Moneybags was my favorite mistake, an on again off again long distance relationship that I knew was going nowhere in the long term. Over time, I realized that I didn't want to be with Johnny Moneybags, I wanted to be him....the successful part, not the bad boy part. My favorite Moneybags anecdote is about the time I invited him to the dreaded black tie holiday party at my old firm, when he propositioned one of the partners' wives, an attractive woman in her 60s: "Charlotte, you know you want me, you want to jump my bones." Listening to Sheryl Crow, I've wondered what happened to Johnny Moneybags and the other bad boyz I've known...have they "settled down" with a wife and kids and changed their bad boy ways? If they're married, are they still "bad to the bone" -- do they cheat or otherwise make their wives miserable?

6 comments:

Mariuca said...

Roxy!!! I got ur nudge LOL! So am here and decided to join the BOTB fun tonite myself, if ya know what I mean? ;)

Oh I bet every girl has a guy to dedicate this song to! I happen to love this one by Sheryl Crow yay! :):):)

LadyJava said...

voting you today Roxy.. Good luck!

Have a great day!!

Ferd said...

Sometimes Princess Gail uses the old word "reformed" when talking about a certain ex alcoholic in the family. She says it in Gail-style: "Re Formed," accentuating each syllable.

I think it is theoretically possible for bad boys to turn good. But they have to do a complete reformation, from users and abusers to true lovers. That takes a lot of work. I don't think that happens very often.

Ferd said...

Oh, and I would have LOVED that concert! Sheryl Crow is one of my favorites!

Anonymous said...

wow, i'm not a fan of sherly crow, I am a young teenager who listens to old rock, jam bands, and rap music. Reading those lyrics really struck a cord with me though, very deep cord. Thanks alot for this post I saved it as a word file, I think this completely describes my last relationship and it damn near made me cry. WOW.

Onto thanking you for stopping by my site and dropping yesterday. Try my other entrecard sites too. http://monetizeanysite.blogspot.com/ and http:/ecarded.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

i don't know why, i got a sad feeling when finished read your post...