Saturday, July 05, 2008

Perfect Shameful Page Turner for the Weekend: 4th of July by James Patterson

I finished Emily Giffin's "Love the One You're With" on the beach yesterday, and had to run back to our beach house for another book. And there on the bookshelf, staring right back at me, was the perfect Shameful Page Turner for the holiday weekend:



I'm almost finished, and I have to laugh at how much money James Patterson has made, churning out the Women's Murder Club books. Here are a few gems:

  • The first paragraph of the book almost stopped me in my tracks: "It was just before 4:00 a.m. on a weekday. My mind was racing even before Jacobi nosed our car up in front of the Lorenzo, a grungy rent-by-the-hour "tourist hotel" on a block in San Francisco's Tenderloin District that's so forbidding even the sun won't cross the street."
  • Chapter 12: "It was a day that had been ripped from the pages of a child's coloring book."
  • Chapter 38: "The day unfurled like a yellow beach blanket."
  • Epilogue: "The first week back on the job blew around me like a Category 5 hurricane."

Keep reading for SPOILER

>

>

>

>

SPOILER AHEAD!

>

>

Spoiler: You are just not going to believe this, I could never have figured it out, but...

All three of the friends Lieutenant Lindsay Boxer of the Women's Murder Club makes on her "vacation" in Half Moon Bay?? They turn out to be MURDERERS!!

I guess you get what you pay for...I paid 50 cents for the paperback at the Artisan's Galleria in Bay Head, and they donate all of the proceeds from these "beach reads" to charity.

7 comments:

Panthergirl said...

LOL!!!! If it didn't piss me off so much it would be hilarious. Same with Grisham...

On the other hand, I want to pull some quotes from The Book Thief which is (as you read on my blog) one of the most beautifully written books I've ever read.

Thanks for the vote, and for dropping by!

Mariuca said...

Ha ha ha ha!!! Roxy!!! Your Pampers comment really had me in stitches for a good 2 minutes, Pampers indeed ha ha ha!!! VOTE!

PS. I wasted 50 credits playing the damn scratch cards and got nada back! :( I saw u won 80 credits on Blog lottery though, good for u!

PINKisthenewBLACK said...

thank you for dropping by roxy :-)

the moment i saw the widget i just approved it with no hesitation - coz i love bree so much x

dropped my card too

thanks!

RoxiticusDH said...

Ya, Mariuca, laugh all you like at my expense...those Pampers cost me 95 BlogExplosion credits!

Roxy

Anonymous said...

I'm so envious you get to read a book! I'm still trying to finish the one I started weeks ago. I'm not even close. I've never read James Patterson though. But for 50 cents I think I'd read him too.

Mariuca said...

Hola Roxy, am here now. I used to read a lot but nowadays I just don't have the time to, esp with all the blogosphere stuff to do LOL! Happy reading!

mad said...

Thank God for summer on the beach, otherwise some of these books might never get read. Thanks for stopping by.