Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Booster Seats Until 8 Years Old OR 80 Pounds

Tonight I had another "booster seat incident" when driving a friend's 6-year-old son home from an after-school activity. He jumped into the back seat with my girls and declared "my mom and dad don't make me ride in a booster seat." Thank goodness he just gave in, sat in the booster, and buckled up, unlike Junie B. (not her real name), another six-year-old who told my nanny she didn't need a booster and refused to sit in one.

New Jersey State Law says EITHER 8 years old OR 80 pounds, and I can't believe either one of these kids is that heavy.

I know, I know, when we were growing up, our parents just threw us in the back of the station wagon and drove cross country with no car seats, no nothing (did they even have seat belts in those covered wagons?), and we all grew up just fine. However, it puts those of us who abide by the law and keep our kids in the boosters in a bad position when we have a booster seat rebel on our hands.

0 comments: