Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Has Caller ID Ended Prank Calling?

I picked up a new page turner last night -- The Pact by Jodi Picoult (John Grisham in a skirt). In an early chapter, she describes the two main characters (a boy and a girl) making prank phone calls at age 9. I remember doing that, maybe from 4th grade to 6th grade, and long before Caller ID. Nothing too serious, we would call and ask people, "Is your refrigerator running?" Then you'd better hurry up and catch it. Or we'd call a cute boy and sing the jingle from the Enjoli perfume commercial: "I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, and never ever let you forget you're a man 'cause I'm a woman.....with Enjoli." Now that Caller ID immediately identifies the prankster and would enable the victim to call your parents, I'm thinking that prank calls must be a thing of the past....has anyone made or received one lately?

0 comments: