Sunday, March 30, 2008

March Madness: Davidson Almost Makes It to the Final Four

We left the Roxiticus Valley today for a visit to Westchester to see Brent and Fitz's new house. The weather was nice for a drive, and on the way up we took the scenic route over Bear Mountain. For lunch, Brent cooked several southern specialties, including shrimp & sausage over grits. If I can get him to give me the recipe, I'll have to post it to my upcoming Rex's Recipes blog. On the way home, we took the "town and country route," through Ossining, Sleepy Hollow and Tarrytown. The girls were on the lookout for the Headless Horseman in Sleepy Hollow, but all we saw was an ultrasound technician school along the way.

We made it home in time to see the last half of the Kansas-Davidson game. I had been expecting it to be a blowout....Kansas has been playing well, and while Davidson is a highly academic small liberal arts college, it's not really much bigger than the ultrasound tech school we passed on Route 287. Rex tells me that Davidson plays in Division III in all of its other sports, so it is unusual that they were able to attract a player like Stephen Curry, whose dad played pro ball.

I missed the first half driving home, but apparently Davidson led for most of the first half, and Kansas was in the middle of a 7-2 run to take the lead when I turned the TV on. Great basketball for the rest of the game, with Kansas squeaking out a 59-57 victory....only devastating that Curry did not take the last shot of the game. If he had, the outcome could have been dramatically different. Maybe it's better this way, since I picked Kansas to make it to the Final Four in my less-than-perfect bracket, and even though I missed out on the $5 million from Yahoo! I still have a shot at a thousand bucks in my friend's office pool.

The consolation for Davidson is that we were all impressed that they got this far, and that Stephen Curry is just a sophomore and plans to return for his junior season. Curry may be hitting NBA 3-pointers, but at least for now, he's not going pro....neither as an NBA player nor an ultrasound technologist. We'll hope Cinderella returns to the dance next year.

0 comments: