Monday, November 03, 2008

Feed the Birds: London and Maddie Prepare to Help Feathered Friends Find Food in Winter

London and Maddie love to watch the birds that visit our backyard, both here in the Roxiticus Valley and down at our beach house in Bay Head, New Jersey. We've got lots of different birdfeeders in both locations, but my greatest trouble is keeping the squirrels out of the bird seed. Just this past summer, I broke one of the girls' favorite bird feeders down at our beach house when I threw a football at the nasty squirrel who had crept down from the tree branches prepared to steal whatever he could. I had perfect aim, hit both the squirrel and the bird feeder squarely with my spiral pass...didn't do much to scare the squirrel, but the birdfeeder crumpled to the ground in chunks of copper and shards of plastic.

So we'll need to replace our bird feeder down in Bay Head with a new one, perhaps something elegant like the one shown above that's available online at Birdfeeders.com. There are so many beautiful birdfeeders to choose from, but I'm afraid I should work harder on a Star Wars style squirrel defense system rather than exquisite charm.

Let's hear some comments (and advice) from the crowd....What do my loyal Roxiticus Desperate Housewives readers do to feed their feathered friends but not the furry squirrels during the cold winter months?

0 comments: