Wednesday, November 12, 2008

If You Build It, They Will Come

Does everyone remember Kevin Costner in Field of Dreams? I need you all to conjure up that famous line, "If you build it, they will come" and stay with me for a while...there's a special invitation for you at the end of this post, so feel free to skip ahead if you don't have the patience for "Once upon a time..."

When Rex, London, Maddie and I moved out to the Roxiticus Valley in October 2003 from a co-op on the Hudson River in New York City’s West Village, we didn’t know where to find anything: toddler ballet classes, butchers and prepared foods, local clothing boutiques, and all sorts of personal services, from pediatricians to florists to our now beloved cake lady. As our little girls grew up over the past five years, from ages 2.5 and 1.5 to 7.5 and 6.5, we discovered age appropriate opportunities for them, and favorite restaurants for grown-up play dates.

In August 2005, I was inspired to start my own blog by Instructions to the Double, the personal blog of a New York City nanny named Tess (you can read her story here). I launched Roxiticus Desperate Housewives as a local blog focused on family life in the “Greater Roxiticus Valley.” As I began posting my experiences on a daily basis, I realized that my family’s struggle to find the best of everything – kid stuff (ballet, gymnastics, tennis lessons, summer camp), restaurants, food and wine (butchers, caterers, cake ladies), home services (realtors, handymen, plumbers, electricians), professional services (doctors, dentists, pediatricians), personal services (florists, hairdressers, nail salons, spas), events and entertainment – could benefit many other families, instead of being limited to word of mouth.

I'm proud to report that, while I've been entertaining all of you international visitors (coming up on the 50,000 mark since I started counting in February 2008) with tales of the Roxiticus Desperate Housewives, their family dramas, sexual pecadilloes and whatever the milkman delivers each morning, both the original Roxiticus Desperate Housewives and Roxy’s Best Of… online community of local web sites have become valuable information resources for local families.

"If you build it, they will come." In the header of my Roxy's Best Of... main page, you'll find the words "coming to a local area near you!" Recognizing that one Roxy can’t do it all, I'd like to invite YOU to write about your hometown... the local area where you’ve become an expert. No commitment necessary, just post to your Roxy's Best Of... site any time you've enjoyed a terrific meal at a local restaurant, or when you'd like to tell everyone about your favorite local boutique. Jason Buckley of Washington Interns Gone Bad fame has been making regular contributions to Roxy's Best Of... the San Francisco Bay Area. Yesterday Matt Urdan, best known for his Meltwater.Torrents.Meanderings.Delta. blog and the new Inside Government educational site, just wrote his first post on the Franklin Cider Mill for Roxy's Best Of... Detroit, Michigan. I've set up Roxy's Best Of... Palos Verdes CA, Toronto, Plainfield NJ, and Rochester NY (OK, it's coming soon, after I get a few hours of sleep) in the hope that Mary Alice, Tricia, Henson, and Mister Scott will join us.

As promised, here's your invitation to join the fun...please leave me a comment here (leave enough of them and you'll make it onto my top commenters widget in the sidebar) or use the contact form to let me know you're interested in your very own Roxy's Best Of... local site. I will build it, and hope you all will come.

6 comments:

Mariuca said...

I'm here today Roxy! Thanks so much for visiting me while I was at the hospital, love ya! :):):)

LadyJava said...

I believe you Roxy so i build IT and I hope you will come.. IT meaning my very own online store!!! heheh...

Come on over to LJL and find out more ok..

LadyJava said...

Yeah.. you have comment on pop out now.. this is so great and easy :)

vote vote vote.. good luck dearie!!

Mariuca said...

Roxy! Dropping while cooking dinner! Busy busy busy! :)

Mariuca said...

Here with Mariuca first today, hope u're having a relaxing day at work. :)

Matthew S. Urdan said...

Roxy, you rock! Thanks for the plugs! Inside Gov already has a technorati ranking of 12. Not bad for ten days, eh?

I've got a question for you regarding the Roxy's Architechture. We;re trying to do something similar at work. Can you send me some specifics on how the Best of Site captures and digests all the others? Is it through RSS feeds or more complicated programming.

Thanks!