Saturday, November 29, 2008

What Are the Comment Spammers After?

As my loyal Roxiticus Desperate Housewives readers know, I'm a fairly prolific blogger, posting to four blogs on a regular basis: Roxiticus Desperate Housewives, Roxy's Best Of... (my WordPress MU community of local sites), Bay Head Blog, and Roxiticus Best Blogs. In WordPress, the Akismet plugin prevents comment spam from getting through, but I have it set up so I can go through it to be sure no real comments get lost. Over the past few weeks, I've noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of comment spam, and I'm trying to understand it better. What are the comment spammers after? I can understand that they're trying to create links to their pathetic web sites, but really, what is someone getting by using links to phrases such as "spaghetti monster," "Cincinnati bingo dates," "flying circus theme," "red dog saloon alaska," or one of my all-time faves, "selsun blue hair loss."

So if you're a spammer, here's your chance. Leave a comment to explain to all of us what the heck you're up to with the bizarre comments you try to leave.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just finished going through our spam comments and was wondering the same thing. I can't figure how these bizarre words could be key words or key phrases.

HEALTH NUT WANNABEE MOM said...

wow! I did not know that you had 4 blogs! I can barely keep up with one! I am not sure about the comment spammers or what their objective is but would love to know myself.

Berryvox said...

I can sort of understand when it's posted on a dofollow blog since it might bring up their Google page rank a bit. But, for the most part, I'm just as confused as you are.

Jackie said...

oh dear Roxy,
You caught me I confess. LOL...not really.

They are just jerks that have no clue just how rude they are being.

I am not having a problem with this. but, for a while I did have one person who was leaving me some pretty strange comments.

But, they went away.

Oh dear almost a week and a half now with PC problems. I am hoping with all of my might that i can get all of my drops done today.

Have a great day!!:-0