Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Not the Greenest Tree in the Forest

My sister is the militant organic vegan in the family, not me. I'm afraid I'm not the greenest tree in the forest, but tonight I had the chance to test exactly how green (or not) I am by taking a short quiz on "GreenIQ.com- How green are you?" an online calculator that measures how green you are by taking both your carbon emissions and environmental impact into account.

Based on my answers to questions about how much gasoline, electricity, and natural gas I use each month, here's the verdict:

"Your GreenIQ ranks just below the average in the United States. Trust us, that's not bad. You are obviously aware of the impact that your lifestyle has on this planet and, whether you realize it or not, you are making green decisions on a daily basis that are helping to maintain a moderate carbon and environmental footprint. But there is still room for improvement and there are endless ways to increase your GreenIQ. Just one (1) daily green decision can go a long way. Focus on making one new green choice every day- be it rejecting the wooden coffee stirrer at your local coffee shop, hang drying your underwear, or choosing a chemical-free all-purpose kitchen cleaner instead of your traditional toxic choice. Being green is not only good for the environment, it is good for you."

Like a scale for body weight, learning your GreenIQ score lets you easily gauge where you stand right now on the green scale. It also shows you how daily eco decisions (recycling, turning off the water when brushing your teeth, shipping green, and buying locally grown food) make a difference when it comes to your impact on the environment.

I've shown you mine, now you show me yours...



0 comments: