Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Inside Scoop: Why I Am Mother of the Year

Once upon a time, back in September 2007, before I started blogging in earnest here at Roxiticus Desperate Housewives and learned how lucrative paid posting could be, I had a dream....a dream of a secondary career as a ticket scalper. Investment banker by day, ticket scalper by night.

At least until they become teenagers, I earned my daughters' undying admiration, I rocked the house, yes I became Mother of the Year material, when I scored tickets to the sold-out Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus Best of Both Worlds Tour concert at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey. Not just any tickets. Five (5) tickets in an excellent section. While there was a four (4) ticket limit per household, I paid extra for two memberships in the Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus fan club, one for each of my girls, so I had two codes to use to purchase tickets. At the moment tickets went on fan club pre-sale, Brent in my NYC office and Roxy in the Roxiticus Valley hit the button and scored four tickets each. Turns out the Comcastic Internet service out here let me down, though, and my tickets were nowhere near as good as Brent's. Visions of me and my friend Susan in one far off corner of the arena while our three girls jumped onto the stage and joined Miley for a rockin' performance of "See You Again" danced in my head.

After losing a few nights' sleep (again, before I was up all night in the Blogosphere), I found two tickets right behind "the Brent Seats" on eBay for six hundred bucks and snapped them up. Enter career scalper: I turned around and sold the four "Roxy Seats" and almost broke even on our Big Night Out with Miley and Hannah.

If only I had known about Free Ticket Exchange, where you can buy and sell tickets to all your favorite events -- Yankees baseball and other sporting events, Bruce Springsteen and other concerts, Spring Awakening and other theater tickets -- check it out to see if they've got what you're looking for at Free Ticket Exchange. The key difference between eBay or StubHub and Free Ticket Exchange is that Free Ticket Exchange is (duh) FREE... no fees for using the service to buy or sell tickets.

My career scalper aspirations came crashing down around me as I awaited payment for the tickets I had sold on eBay and read in The New York Times AND The Wall Street Journal, over the same weekend, two separate featured articles about how Hannah Montana and Ticketmaster were cracking down on scalpers. So no second income, I'll only be using my supernatural skills (and Free Ticket Exchange) to score the best seats for the concerts, sporting events, and Broadway shows we're planning to attend.

I'll leave you guessing about my second career...





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Any mother who can find tickets to the Miley Cyrus/ Hannah Montana concert deserves to be Mother of the Year. Kuddos to you!

Zeee said...

Hi dropping by! Nice blog! :)

Sally Townsend said...

Until they become teenagers ..... yup, I'd agree with that one

Jackie Richardson said...

Hi, I stopped by to check out your blog. Very nice. I have a bio post on my blog about Miley Cyrus.

I enjoyed this post very much.

Mariuca said...

Hi Roxy, stopping by to quickly give u my vote. 3 more to go now, good luck dearie! And have a great weekend yeah?! :)

Johnny Wadd said...

Who hasn't dreamt of romantic career as a ticket scalper!