Thursday, April 17, 2008

Chewing Dot Com Bubble Gum

When I say I'm an investment banker, people sometimes assume that I'm some sort of stock picking ninja, but that notion couldn't be further from the truth.

My role as an investment banker is focused on mergers, acquisitions, and raising equity capital for entrepreneurs who have grown their businesses for several years and want to either take their businesses to the next level or maximize their enterprise value via a strategic exit. I don't spend my day trading stocks (or Pokemon cards); in fact, I'd prefer to keep it all under my mattress and watch it grow that way. I invested my entire 401(k) plan in high growth Internet stocks like Safeguard Scientifics and Internet Capital Group on the morning of March 10, 2000, because I didn't want my rollover from my former employer sitting in a money market fund while I went away skiing in Deer Valley, Utah. The dot com bubble burst the same day....I watched the news reports on CNN at the airport. So my best financial advice to you (other than my standard, "Buy low. Sell high.") is to not ask me for advice.

Instead, you might try a financial community like FinGad, a place to review strategies with fellow investors. FinGad features news and articles from you and for you - in a community of financial professionals. The folks at FinGad are running a contest where the person who can pick the best stocks & get maximum return on the virtual money balance will win $1000 with FinGad. So if you want to sell your profitable Web 2.5 or database information company, leave me a comment below or send me an e-mail, but if you want to exchange hot stock picks, or review investment strategies and companies with other financial professionals, you're better off with FinGad. Don't forget to read the rules and conditions before entering the FinGad contest.

0 comments: