Tuesday, April 08, 2008

It's Raining Page-Turners: The Year of Fog

My latest page-turner, despite the warning on the book jacket that "The Year of Fog" by Michele Richmond is "highly recommended [for fans of] authors like Jodi Picoult," may not turn out to be a shameful page-turner after all. I am only six chapters in, but I may have to stay up all night to finish this one. Then again, given the subject matter, I may not be able to get to sleep anyway. I'll give you the blurb from the back cover and let you decide if you want to know more:
Here is the truth, this is what I know: I was walking on the beach with Emma. It was cold and very foggy. She let go of my hand. I stopped to photograph a baby seal, then glanced up toward the Great Highway. When I looked back, Emma was gone.

From this moment unfolds the spellbinding story of Abby Mason -- photographer, fiancee, soon-to-be-stepmother -- and the consquences of her greatest error. A riveting drama of how life can change in an instant, of a family torn apart by the search for the truth behind a child's disappearance, and of one woman's unwavering faith in the power of love.






I guess I'm like one of those rubberneckers at a train wreck. Whether it is Russell Banks telling the story of a schoolbus accident in "The Sweet Hereafter" or Michelle Richmond's "The Year of Fog," I have to keep turning the pages.

0 comments: