Saturday, April 05, 2008

Recycling Haiku: Los Angeles August 1995

California bar
Rex buys twine for recycling
Trade him anytime


I wrote that haiku on vacation with Melissa in Southern California back in August 1995 before Rex and I were officially together. Whether it was the Jersey Shore or Hollywood Boulevard, Melissa was always dragging me out to a bar to listen to a band and hoping to meet someone. I always brought along little notebooks and wrote haiku. While I was living the wild single life, Rex was tying up his newspapers with twine from Home Depot and sorting his recycling into aluminum, glass and plastic. While I was worried about becoming a Born Again Virgin, Rex was bringing out to his West Village curb a cart full of plastic bottles that would be recycled into Virgin HDPE Granules, the pure and freshly made form of High Density Polyethylene.

One sign that I was meant for the suburban life of a Roxiticus Desperate Housewife is that, now that Rex and I are happily married, I'd still prefer to sort the recycling than to stay out all night in a Jersey Shore bar looking for Mister Right. Whew!

0 comments: